Thursday, November 26, 2015

November 26, 2015 - Work-Life Balance.

The company I work for cares a lot about a good work-life balance for its employees.
I work in IT, so mostly we know when to begin, but we never really know when our day will end, what will happen, how it will go.
A lot of the work I can't get done during the day, I can do in the evening from home too, and it happens a lot. Quickly taking the laptop wanting to finish just this small thing, an email that just came in on the phone, ... It happens daily, and mostly I don't stop at doing just this small thing, simply reading the email, or whatever.

A couple of weeks ago, we were asked by our manager to come up with a work-life balance initiative for ourselves.
Trying to work less from home in the evening is an initiative that will simply fade after time in my case. In the end the work will just pile up anyway, leaving you with more to be done the next day.

Today was a day where work got done and the workload was finally a little less. On top it was a clear sky after several days of rain and I felt that I needed to get out. Even if it would be just for half an hour, to feel some rock and standing on top of a boulder.
So today, I took an initiative, a work-life balance initiative.
I left half an hour earlier to get the advantage of the clear sky that will give these couple of minutes of extra precious daylight and went for a very short climb on the way home.

The easiest and quickest stop was Bas Cuvier, and I wanted to repeat something I did before, but now for the video, for the "archives", and decided that it would be "L'Hélicoptère".
Easy walk in the park beginning with a scary dynamic move at the end at considerable height.

On days like this, I like Bas Cuvier, as even the "Grand Place" of Cuvier was deserted. How's that for a change ?
21 November 2009 was the first time I did "L'Hélicoptère", and I was impressed when I was standing underneath it today, looking up to the hold where you have to jump to. In my mind I was doing the move and I could see my feet and legs taking the huge helicopter-like swing. We know how the problem got its name.
The beginning is easy and I could feel my feet shaking with adrenalin and fear when preparing for the jump.
I grabbed the hold with one hand, starting swinging heavily, chickened out and let go, swinging my arms and legs around when going down, to keep my body balanced.
I was glad I dropped fine on my feet, and I knew now that it was going to be OK. Any try from now on could be a successful one. I think it took me about 5 more tries before I stood on top. I felt relieved. I suddenly felt in balance.

Here's the video, I'll do some more work from home. It's 22h15.

Fontainebleau - Bas Cuvier - L'Hélicoptère 7A(7A+)


No comments:

Post a Comment