Friday, November 13, 2015

November 11, 2015 - Tickmarks

Fontainebleau - Rocher Fin - Narine à Voile 7A

It was 8 am when I left this morning, and 9 am when I did my first try in "Narine à Voile". By that time I had already done the long walk to there and scouted around a bit to plan my climbs.
I actually left too early (being impatient) as there was still a thick fog covering the fields and the forest and boulders were still way too humid.

I could have flashed this one, but the conditions were not quite in my favor, and they didn't get much better than that during the rest of the day.
Too bad, because I had planned to try so much but had to limit myself to the boulders that were "OK" to climb. Not good, but "OK".
I should have called it a day but the hunger for climbing was there and I just couldn't resist.

Anyway, better luck tomorrow ?



Fontainebleau - Rocher Fin - Soleil Levant 7A

Tickmarks!!
All the tickmarks that you can see on this problem were already there when I arrived. To be clear, I was alone out there as it was still very early, so the tickmarks were still from another day by someone unknown to me.
That people sometimes need to tickmarks, I can completely understand. I use them too sometimes, but I always brush them off when I'm done!
Today I took some time to clean some boulders while wandering around in the area, and I brushed off so much chalk and tickmarks that I probably could have filled my whole big chalkbag up for free. I was amazed about the amount of chalk that apparently a lot of people still leave behind after their climb.
Some need no tickmarks, some need some, some a bit more, but it seems that there exist people who need a tickmark for every hold on a problem and leave them in place when done climbing. Do they want to be friendly and leave them on for the next people attempting the problem ? Please, you are not helping anybody!!
Today I saw (again) a yellow (!!) problem that had long tickmarks for every handhold and foothold on the yellow (!!) problem. I mean, these holds are huge and you could see the tickmarks with your eyes closed. People who need those for every hold, should maybe limit their climbing for inside, where the holds have an obvious specific color that stands out for each route.
Come on people, please leave the boulders and the areas behind in a clean state!
So far for my rant, sorry, but I had to let it out.

Ironic name for this nice little traverse, "Soleil Levant". 
I saw the sun for about 15 minutes today, and ironically enough it was at the exact same time that I was working this one out.

I'm not really a traverse type, but at least this was (seen the conditions) "OK" to climb. Still a bit humid though. But I had fun with it!


No comments:

Post a Comment