Friday, May 11, 2018

May 11, 2018 - Kung Fu Master.

I'm not a really big fan of Bruce Lee and Martial Arts movies in general, except when it comes to climbing it.
On the top of the neighbouring hill of Justice de Chambergeot, but included in the area, lies the isolated, hard to find boulder with "Bruce Lee".
A small boulder, hidden between several others just beneath the plateau, and behind some trees, but good for some shade, despite being on the South face of the hill.

I had tried "Bruce Lee" several times already and last time was more than a year ago, but I remember well how each time I was hoping that the big and very steep approach would be the last time.
Today was no different, only this time I left knowing for a fact that I don't have to that steep and slippery approach anymore.
I had just done "Bruce Lee" and "Bruce Lee (gauche)"!

The first move and hanging on during or after the swing is crazy hard and is what took me the most time.
I was hoping that it would have been nearly over after that, but I was dead wrong.
What followed were some more quite hard moves, but well controllable when executed nearly perfectly.
It did take me quite a while before I had figured out the method that suited me most.
I had to use, for the example, the momentum of the swing to move on to the right and lock a toehook (which can be better seen on the video of the left variation).
It kind of looks like a Kung Fu move and I was wondering if the name was maybe derived from that move. However, on the video I have ever seen from "Bruce Lee", Bart (Van Raaij) did it differently.

Anyway, a first class problem which is definitely worth the effort of the approach.

Fontainebleau - Justice de Chambergeot - Bruce Lee 7B+




Knowing all the moves really well now, it only took me two more attempts to finish "Bruce Lee (gauche)". Still the same crazy hard start, but a slightly easier exit.

Fontainebleau - Justice de Chambergeot - Bruce Lee (gauche) 7B




Maybe, I might still go back to "Bruce Lee" when some friend wants to try it and we happen to be together, but then I'm not carrying the crashpad!

No comments:

Post a Comment