Sunday, October 9, 2022

October 09, 2022 - Where there is smoke, there is fire.

The weather started out bad last Sunday, but it cleared up and late in the afternoon there seemed a small window of opportunity. The sun came out from time to time and there was a good breeze. I figured to try my chance on "Karagena" just below the ridge of the hill behind the main area of Gorge aux Châts. 
When I was just below the top of the hill close at about hundred meters from "Katagena", I suddenly noticed smoke coming out of the ground in a small pit between some boulders. When I got closer, there was a clear smell of burning and noticed some glowing heat in the pit. I tried to move some of the soil and emptied the small amount of water that I had with me, on it. The hissing sound when I poured my water made it clear that it was very hot underground, at which point I decided to call the fire brigade. They geo-located me and said that they would be there soon, asking me to stay near so they try and get to my using my geo-location as I was not near any path. While waiting, the wind blowing on the heat even made it fire up from to time. I guess it was a good thing that it had rained the day before and earlier that morning, making the top layer of the pine needles less dry than the days before. Below ground though, it was still very dry.

Fire in the hole.

After about twenty minutes, I could hear a distinct siren and one of the firemen called me, asking if I could come down to the path and guide them as they weren't able to see any smoke.
After meeting them and having taken them to the location of the fire, they confirmed that I had done the right thing calling them. They are familiar with these kinds of underground fires and told me that if nothing would be done, the area around would have definitely caught fire. This one went for about half a meter deep and they needed to carry up several containers of water to be able to extinguish it. Asking them about the possible cause, the fire officer was convinced that it was due to some campers who probably used a gas stove causing the ground below to heat up and starting the underground fire. Most likely some campers caused it the day or evening before, he said. While they continued their work, I gave them my contact details and continued my way to "Katagena" and by coincidence ran into a small tent not even fifty meters from where the fire was. I warned the fire officer about it and together we went back to the tent. After a few attempts asking if anyone was in there, there was some movement and an English-speaking climber put his head out of the tent. The officer told him about camping being forbidden, upon which the camper, looking like he was on some drug or alcohol, showed some climbing shoes, thinking it would be okay for climbers to camp out there. He was made aware that the police would come over soon and give him a fine if he didn't pack up. Asking him about the fire, he claimed that he didn't have anything to do with it, but leftovers of food around the tent made us believe the contrary.
By that time, a light drizzle had made the boulders wet enough to not be able to climb anymore, so I went back home.

This morning, I decided to go back to "Katagena", but I still can't figure out how that problem actually starts and what is allowed to be used, that problem seems majorly hard the way I imagine it going. The camper had apparently left, and I noticed a possible line that looked attractive, exactly at the spot where he was staying. He had setup his tent right under the small roof at the spot where imagined a sitstart. 
It was done quickly, but not without some effort. As I couldn't find any pictures or description that completely matched the problem, I decided to conveniently name it "Camping Interdit" for the time being.

Fontainebleau - Gorge aux Châts - Camping Interdit 6C(7A)



On my way back down on the other, shady, side of the hill, I decided to stop at "Backdoor Man" and give it a try, now that it was dry. It was quick done deal, but I liked it, nevertheless.

Fontainebleau - Gorge aux Châts - Backdoor Man 6C+(7A)



The lesson I learned thanks to the whole fire story, is to never hesitate to call the fire brigade, even if what you see looks really small and practically nothing to worry about. What I saw, looked like something quite innocent, and I hesitated at first if I should call the fire brigade or not. Luckily, I did, because according to their feedback, it had prevented a potential disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment