Wednesday, December 9, 2015

December 09, 2015 - 3 pairs of eyes, 3 different voices, 3 tries.

Pieter called me on Monday to tell me about a nice roof in Gorge aux Châts that he had been working in with Siem and Koen. They met the guy who opened it and he showed it to them.
It has a direct exit that is 7B and an exit to the right which is 7C. A long roof with positive holds he said, really nice!
He got my curiousity, and even though it wasn't possible to climb due to bad weather, I went over simply to have a look at what he was talking about.
What I found was indeed a beautiful roof, with a low start in a pit, just recently opened by Tony F. At first sight and feel I didn't immediately find the positive holds he mentioned, but I was in a hurry, on my way to work and it was still quite dark. It had drawn my attention though, and I was determined to go try it as soon as the weather and occasion would allow me.

Today I sent a message to Tony, asking him where the exact start was so I could mentally prepare.
I got a message from Igor that they (Igor, Koen and Siem) were going to Gorge aux Châts late afternoon and evening, so I knew there would be some climbing done. Siem had bought a cool floodlight on batteries not long ago, so we would have light in the dark.

By the time I arrived, the boulder, that isn't and will not be published on bleau.info, was "crowded".
Igor, Koen and Siem were there already and just before me also arrived the opener, Tony F., with a friend (whose name I didn't get or forgot, sorry for that).
Siem was already working the problem, Tony's friend put on his climbing shoes, and then also Igor gave it a try. Koen was taking pictures and I stood and watched while talking to Tony.
First Tony's friend, then Igor immediately after, and also Siem finished the problem, the direct exit, the 7B version.
Tony and his friend left the scene and I also put on my shoes, feeling a little bit pressured to finish it too, with still 3 pairs of eyes staring on me. But, on the other hand, also 3 voices encouraging me, and I must admit, I think it helped.
I hestitated to take out the camera and when I fell off the problem at the last move due to bad foot placement, I knew that the chance was high that I would top the next try.
I took 5 minutes rest, installed the camera, pressed record and finished the problem that go, pressured by 3 pairs of eyes and encouraged by 3 different voices, my third try in total.
Like Igor said: "Send train"!

Fontainebleau - Gorge aux Châts - Cop21 7B



No comments:

Post a Comment