Monday, October 31, 2016

October 31, 2016 - Who's next ?

Steven (Demets) is back in the forest!
After a very long time of no climbing Steven finally decided to come to the forest to enjoy the Autumn colours and some good old bouldering on Bleau's soft sandstone.
Just like me, he prefers the calmer areas, so I decided to show him around in Rocher de la Salamandre Est.

We started with "Diesel (gauche)" that I finally was able to finish after again changing my method.
Steven's length was a bit of a disadvantage for this one, and probably also the fact that he didn't climb for a couple of years.

Fontainebleau - Rocher de la Salamandre Est - Diesel (gauche) 7A




We moved the pads to the other side of the boulder so Steven could try "Armani" which was opened as 7B, was adjusted to 7A+ and which I flashed on my last visit.
He started off promising, but lacked the last bit of power needed to make the hardest move.
I repeated it again on my first try. Even 7A+ is too high graded for this problem according to me.

Next up was something easier, "Da Vinci Code", a nice 6B+ next to "Tomahawk".
Romain, someone I sometimes run into in the forest, was trying "Tomahawk" and despite knowing that I was never able to barely get my ass off the ground, I decided to briefly join him.
To my surprise, I was able to lift myself up and make the first move to the pinch.
Then I even found another method by using a toehook far right to go for next hold.

I knew it was possible, pressed record and sent "Tomahawk" straight away.
Beautiful moves, but oh so hard first one!

Fontainebleau - Rocher de la Salamandre Est - Tomahawk 7A(7A+)




Immediately after "Tomahawk", I flashed "Da Vinci Code" and watched Steven top it out too. Nice effort!

Before moving to the "Biosarde" boulder, we stopped at the very nice 6C(7A), "Belle Pince" which I was able to repeat much easier than my first time.
Steven gave it some good tries but had to give in.

I offered Steven to stay over at my house so he could sleep in a real bed in a real room, which he probably needed, because he went to bed early.

It was nice to climb with Steven again after such a long time and I hope he will continue to come back to the forest.
He lost some power compared to a couple of years ago, but he still has it in him!
Who's next ? Ivan ?

No comments:

Post a Comment