Wednesday, August 31, 2016

August 31, 2016 - Number 403.

On my way home from work, I stopped at Franchard Isatis to look for "Byrjun" in an often forgotten sector on the North face of the hill.
Most of the problems in that sector have been opened by our good friends Ivan Moreels and Steven Demets. This is one from Steven.
The whole North face, however, is covered with ferns, and after 15 minutes of searching, I still hadn't found it.

I didn't feel like having done the walk for nothing, so I contented myself with "Le Toit Ouvrant (direct)" that I had passed a couple of times during my search.
It's a very nice steep overhang with pockets and after looking at the holds and a possible sequence, I flashed it easily.

Fontainebleau - Franchard Isatis - Le Toit Ouvrant (direct) 6C+




Of course, on my way back, I found "Byrjun" almost by accident. It was well hidden by the high ferns.
It turned out that I stood twice on top of the boulder and jumped off it in my search for it.
I think that the 50m from "Le Surplomb Feuilleté", as indicated on the topo, is slightly exaggerated and I was looking too far away from it.
I didn't have the time anymore to try it as I had to go home, but now that I knew where it was, I was determined to come back for it after diner.

As said, after diner I drove back to Isatis and walked straight to it. 10 minutes later it was done.
Only 4 moves, but still a very nice hidden gem!

Fontainebleau - Franchard Isatis - Byrjun 7A+




I noticed yesterday that my video of "L'Epervier (assis)" on Monday, was actually my 400th Youtube video. That makes the one from "Byrjun", number 403.

No comments:

Post a Comment