Friday, July 21, 2023

July 21, 2023 - Rest day... Right!?

I was supposed to take rest day from climbing today, to allow my skin to recover, but that thought only lasted until yesterday evening, when Pieter let me know that he would be today. He proposed to go to Gorges du Houx to climb in the shade of the cave where "Gargantoit" is located, coincidently the exact same idea that I had in mind after I realized that I would be climbing today anyway. Our plans were almost canceled due to rain during the night and this morning, but it started drying quickly as soon as the sky cleared up. When we arrived at the cave, we were delighted to notice that "Gargantoit" was completely dry, as if it hadn't rained at all.
I had already done the regular standing start of "Gargantoit" in November 2016, but I wanted to try one of the sitstarts so it was obvious to try the standing start again as a warmup and to mentally prepare. It only took me three attempts to top it out again. As I had it already on video, I didn't film it, but added the one from back in 2016 below. Apparently it was freezing cold that day, which is a huge contrast with today.

Fontainebleau - Gorges du Houx - Gargantoit 7A+(7A) (2016)



Being more attracted by the moves of the left sitstart of "Gargantoit", I worked out the moves quite fast and much sooner than expected, if at all, I worked my way all the way to the top. A magnificent problem that gets my five stars without a doubt.
Almost immediately after, Pieter was able to finish the standing start as well.

Fontainebleau - Gorges du Houx - Gargantoit (assis gauche) 7B+



Being there now and with still some juice left in me, we worked the start of the regular sitstart using the compression method. I was quite surprised to get back into the standing start quickly and decided to give it all I got for another top. Maybe a bit too soon, because I was completely pumped for the final move and couldn't hold it anymore. After a short break, I was able to take it down. Pieter made it into the standing start, but lacked the power and energy to go to the end.
Both sitstarts totally fit my style. Good effort for a supposed rest day.

Fontainebleau - Gorges du Houx - Gargantoit (assis) 7B+

No comments:

Post a Comment