Sunday, July 9, 2023

July 09, 2023 - Thunderstruck.

The intent of going to Le Calvaire and try some problems on the boulder of "Sombre", was to ensure climbing in the shade, but it turned out to have another very beneficial purpose. The thunderstorm that I only expected to arrive late this afternoon, was way early and around the time that I arrived at the boulder, the distant rumbling in the sky had come very close and the first rain drops had started to fall. Right after I put on my climbing shoes, the mild dripping turned into heavy rain and thunder and lightning had turned into a magnificent show of nature.
I was lucky to stay dry in that small cave-like spot and was able to climb, but unfortunately not very long. When I managed to stick the crux move of "Morceau de Sable", the topout had become soaking wet. Luckily the last part climbs a quite easy blue on jugs, so didn't really have to worry about it. By then also, which was less fortunate, the rain on top of the boulder had accumulated enough for it start dripping through the roof and I had to move my stuff to better shelter. Climbing anything else had become pointless, so I waited for a window to head back to the car. 

Fontainebleau - Le Calvaire - Morceau de Sable 7A

No comments:

Post a Comment