Wednesday, June 21, 2017

June 21, 2017 - Roasted chicken.

It has been extremely hot the last couple of days and we are suffering from a true heat wave in the country.
I tried not to climb in this heat, but even though the thermometer read 48°C in the sun when I stepped into car after work, I decided to have a short climbing session after diner anyway.

I parked at J.A. Martin around 19h30, it was still 39°C and I had to wanted to walk all the way over the hill to the North face of it to try "Dark Side".
I tried briefly with Igor (Depoorter) and Klaas (Willems) almost 5 years ago and I remembered that it was indeed a dark and shady corner.
Nobody topped it back then, but some time has gone by and given the heat it seemed like a good spot to refuge to.

I forgot about the forest fire from a couple of years ago and the trees were all gone, offering no shade at all.
On top of that, even though the boulder is located on the North face, the problem is exposed to the West and in the plain sun this time of the day.
The heat in the sun was unbearable and I didn't even unpack.

Instead, I walked back down halfway the hill to find "La Méthode Gé" on my path.
The rock felt warm because of catching the sun all day long, but now with the sun being lower it was partly in the shade.

I worked out the separate moves quite quickly, took a short break to stop sweating like crazy and sent the problem on my second attempt afterwards.
I was glad to have done it that fast because being surrounded by warmed up sandstone heat radiating boulders out of the wind, made me feel like a roasted chicken.

Fontainebleau - J.A. Martin - La Méthode Gé 7A+(7A)




When I arrived back at the car, it was 20h10 and still 36°C ... in the shade!

No comments:

Post a Comment