Thursday, March 30, 2017

March 29, 2017 - Disconnected!

Yesterday I arrived in Kerpen, near Cologne in Germany, to work on a small project with my colleague and friend Harco (De Man).
The last two days here have been very busy and this evening, when it finally time to call it a day, instead of hanging around in the hotel, restaurant and bar, we decided to do something else.
Harco is a boulderer too, so we went bouldering in the Eifel and profited as much as we could from the last available daylight.
Thanks to the time change last weekend and the days that are getting longer each day, we were able to climb enough to disconnect from the hard working day.
Okay, it's wasn't Bleau, but being in a forest and hearing the sounds of animals and birds felt great.

I don't know much about the Eifel, but there is an area that I visited with my wife Sandra over five years ago.
It was near the village of Burgbrohl, next to Glees, in a small sector called Kruzifix. Marked by a white cross on one of the bigger boulders.
As it turned out to be only a half an hour drive from the office in Kerpen, we decided to go for it.

The GPS took us straight to the parking of where we had to be.
I remembered more or less where we had to be, but needed a bit more time to find the Kruzifix than the five minutes as described in one of the topos we found on the internet.

We warmed up with a nice small problem to get used the rock, which feels way different than in Bleau, and I noticed that I didn't feel as comfortable on the rock than I am at home.
Still, the 6B(6C) "Scheinheiligen" next to classic "Eisheiligen" went down on my second attempt, and for Harco too.

Immediately after, I wanted to try the beautiful classic of the area, "Esiheiligen".
After a short try to "get the feel", I went for it and easily sent it on my second attempt. Albeit with shaky knees.
I still had to get used to the different rock.
Harco made some really nice attempts and got to one move from the end, but had to let it go.

Eifel - Kruzifix - Eisheiligen 6C+




We then moved to one of the few 7's in the area, one that I did on my first visit here long ago and I wanted to have a video of it.
"Schattenkabinett" would probably be graded about 6C in Bleau. I topped it with much ease on my second attempt.
Harco did the 5C "Crunchy Nuts" next to it a couple of times. One that I can recommend as it does have some nice in for such a small boulder.

Eifel - Kruzifix - Schattenkabinett 7A+




I had read in the topo about a nice little dyno and it turned out to be right behind us.
"Kleene Bombe" was the only boulder (dyno) that came close the grade as compared to Bleau.
The jump is not high, but hanging on to the sharp edge definitely makes it worth the grade.
Fun little dyno!

Eifel - Kruzifix - Kleene Bombe 6A




We still played around a bit on that small boulder, both did the 5C "Clever und Smart", that has a beautiful shoulder move in it.
Harco even did a possible first ascent of a variation on it.

There is much more to do in the area, and you can spend half a day of climbing there, but we didn't have that much time.
The few boulders that we climbed were nice, the area was nice and at least we felt relieved and completely disconnected from work when we walked back to the car and drove to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment