Tuesday, June 7, 2016

June 07, 2016 - Ethics flooded.

Sunday it finally stopped raining.
The villages along the river "Loing" are almost all flooded. Moret-sur-Loing, Montigny-sur-Loing, Nemours, ... They still can't lick their wounds yet because the water still hasn't retracted completely.
For those whose houses have been flooded, the worst probably still has to come when they will return to their homes.

I arrived back home from Belgium around 21h30 and couldn't resist to go to the forest for a couple of minutes.
On my way to Rocher Guichot, the upcoming evening fog above the fields revealed some potential bad news ... Condensation, and a lot of it!!
No way that climbing was possible with these conditions as the boulders were literally soaking wet!
Tried again yesterday evening (Monday), and even though it was getting slightly better, the condensation was still there.

That's what happens after many days of rain, and sun and heat after.
The rain that went into the ground comes up again, vaporises because of the sun, the vapour hits the boulders that are significantly colder, it condenses and creates drops of water on the surface of the rock.
Nothing you can do but wait until it gets better.
Condensation sometimes is even worse han the rain, because even the underside of roofs and overhangs is soaking wet.

Today, after work, I had to pick up my son at a friend in Le Vaudoué and as I was about half an hour early, I went to Rocher Guichot again to "kill time".
The boulders were getting dry now apart from some areas that were not being dried by the sun and the tiny bit of wind.

Anyway, even though the starting hold of "Gorétatov (debout)" was still moist, I gave it some tries.
I had tried it a couple of times yesterday, but even the top part of the boulder was still wet, making the mantle up there on those slopers nearly impossible.
Today, after wiping of the sand particles that had formed, it felt quite sticky.
I think the ethics must have been taken by the flood, because they were nowhere to be seen when I made it to the top. I had to use every inch of naked skin to find the required grip and not fall off.
Easy start, really hard mantle!
I still tried the sitstart and easily made my way up to the slopers but couldn't finish it off anymore. Next time for sure when the holds at the bottom are completely dry.

Fontainebleau - Rocher Guichot - Gorétatov (debout) 7A+




After diner I still went to Franchard Isatis but couldn't finish anything anymore.
The boulders are drying, but the good conditions haven't returned yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment