Saturday, September 26, 2020

September 26, 2020 - Amazed.

Jan (Gorrebeeck) and his wife Gina, owners of the City Lizard bouldering hall in Belgium, are here for a holiday since a few weeks and when Jan visited me on Wednesday evening, we agreed to go climbing together on Saturday. The weather forecast didn't look very good, and even though it rained quite a bit on Friday, I kept hoping for good weather.
Waking up this morning, I was pleased to see the sun against a clear blue sky. The weather had turned apparently, and the day was going to be dry until late in the evening. On top of the blue sunny sky, it was cold, there was a promising wind and the humidity in the air turned out to be only 44%. Good signs for excellent conditions.
As it did rain a lot and the streets looked were humid here and there, Jan and Gina agreed to join me to Rocher de Milly Est. It's a long walk, but the scenery is beautiful and when walking towards the quick drying boulder of "Toundra", one can imagine what other continents look like. Bleau never ceases to amaze.

The boulder of "Toundra" was in stunningly good conditions and seemed like the perfect choice to spend some time. Seeing a big deer running through the ferns at only 50m from us, trying to escape out of view, felt like the icing on the cake. There are countless deer in the forest, but as they are so shy and good in hiding, it always feels like a privilege to actually see one. Again, Bleau never ceases to amaze.

Jan didn't even have his climbing shoes on yet, when I topped "Steppe" with relative ease on my second attempt. I jumped off on my first attempt, because I realized that I was going to flash and didn't have the camera on yet. It ruined the flash, but as I don't quite care about such things, it didn't feel like it ruined anything. It's a nice line.

Fontainebleau - Rocher de Milly Est - Steppe 7B



I needed more time and attempts for the left exit, "Toundra", but even though it was sketchy, I was able to fight my way through within half an hour after we arrived. Great problem that compared to "Steppe" definitely deserves a '+' to the grade. Jan, who needed more time and attempts, and different but more aesthetic methods, topped them both too, and will most likely confirm that statement.

Fontainebleau - Rocher de Milly Est - Toundra 7B+(7B)



We had fun working out the sitstart of both above, but there are two moves in the sequence that really suck the energy out of the body so we will have to come back for those. I did make it past the standing start a couple of times, so next time, when the energy levels are still charged, it should be possible.
Jan and Gina have the heart on the right place, and I always enjoy being in their company. The long walk back felt like only a little stroll around.

No comments:

Post a Comment