Saturday, September 1, 2018

September 01, 2018 - High contrast.

What a beautiful day it was today!

Pieter had left his house in Belgium late yesterday evening, so he wanted to sleep in and this morning it was already about 10h30 when we met on the parking of Roche aux Sabots before driving on to Rocher Gréau.
I had come up with the idea of going there after browsing on bleau.info and knowing that Pieter would join was a comforting feeling.
Even though I had visited the area a couple of times before, it struck me that I had never finished anything there before and a folder for Rocher Gréau was still missing on my computer's hard drive.

Pieter had strangely enough never been to Rocher Gréau before, but when walking between the high boulders, he quickly understood why I had never topped something out when being alone. Most of the boulders there are beautiful piece by piece, but huge!
To warm up, we started with two of the lower problems, "Le Pied de Nez (assis)" and "Faux Fuyant / Pentium", but got beaten down by both of them and lost a lot of skin.

One of the boulders that was high up on my want list there, was the beautiful, but very high "Supplément d'Armes".
I remembered standing in front of that huge boulder with open mouth on my previous visits, but there was no hair on my head that was thinking about trying that alone.
Finally, now with Pieter with me who was also eager to try, we unfolded the pads under it and set off.

It only took me a handful of tries. With each try the confidence built up and the moment I felt ready, I installed the camera and sent it immediately after.
The holds after the mantle into the wall are all good, but mentally it was a struggle at that height.
The contrast with the lowball from yesterday couldn't have been higher.

Fontainebleau - Rocher Gréau - Supplément d'Armes 7B




Pieter tried some more, but had to give up due to wrist problems when using the crimp under the overhang in compression, so we moved towards the high boulders with "Les Conquistadores", where we tried almost every line on it, but got beaten down again.

I still felt quite weak from the busy workweek, and Pieter was also getting tired, but with the last bits of energy we still had left, we started trying the high engaging "Jeu t'es Fou".
I was only one to finish it, and already on my third attempt, but again near the top, it was a mental battle at that height in a very uncomfortable position. Nevertheless a beautiful problem!

Fontainebleau - Rocher Gréau - Jeu t'es Fou 7A




We were both amazed with the beauty of the boulders and lines in the area, and will return soon with some better skin, more energy and hopefully more guts!

No comments:

Post a Comment