Sunday, December 18, 2022

December 18, 2022 - Snow & ice.

We didn't see much of the heavy snow fall that was announced earlier this week but we did have a small layer of about one centimeter. As it was freezing cold the whole week and no more precipitation, it wasn't wet, but the choice of climbable boulders was mild. The small layer of snow that covered most of the boulders didn't melt but a small layer of ice had formed between the snow and the rock. Slapping off the snow was in most cases not enough to be able to have a doable topout.
Yesterday, I did manage to work out moves of "Entrée de Game (assis)" and could climb from the sit into the standing start. Despite the good conditions of the friction, I had lost quite some skin. Christophe (Laumone) showed how good the conditions were by doing the first ascent of "Gengis Khan (assis)".
This morning, with only -6°C when I arrived at the Dame Jouanne area, it was extremely cold. Knowing how quickly my toes are freezing with that icy temperature, I knew that I didn't have to go anything that would likely take me too long. I therefor chose for "L'Etoile Filante", a boulder that seemed to fit my style and wasn't too exposed. Even though it looked less hard than it turned out to be, the hardest battle was the one against freezing toes. I was glad that it didn't take me too long.

Fontainebleau - Dame Jouanne - L'Etoile Filante 7B+(7B)



Looking for "Attention à la Branche", I turned up at "Just Do It", realizing that I didn't find the first. I must have walked right passed it without noticing. I decided to stay where I was and just try "Just Do It". I only needed two attempts, but was caught by surprise by the tricky topout, especially with these icy and snowy conditions. I didn't rush myself though and took a minute for a possible and safe way up. It was sketchy, but in the end I just did it and grabbing the moss under the snow, struggled myself on top of the boulder.

Fontainebleau - Dame Jouanne - Just Do It 7B

No comments:

Post a Comment