Wednesday, March 9, 2022

March 09, 2022 - The impossible victory.

Many years ago, when I was in Rocher du Potala for the first time, the beautiful boulder with "Pierre Ponce" caught my eye. The traces of magnesium revealed that this boulder was apparently being climbed or tried now and then, and I remember standing there in awe, finding it hard to believe that this would even be possible. Especially with such a scary landing. Even though I never expected it, almost ten years later, I actually dared and tried it for the first time. Trying this what was once a mythical boulder, already felt like a victory on itself. I was alone though and didn't dare to give it all that I got.
Several years later, I tried it again, but that time with an extra crashpad and Pieter spotting and trying with me. I was able to work out all the moves separately then, which felt like another victory, and it was then that I realized then that it was actually possible.
Feeling quite confident, I went back last year in September, carried two crashpads all the way there, only to find out that there was a hornets nest in the big hole right in front of the starting hold. Being distracted by the hornets flying around me, I had no choice but to let it go and come back for it in the Winter time after the hornets had abandoned their nest.

Having the day off today and with good conditions for several days in a row, "Pierre Ponce" caught my attention again when I going through my 'wantlist' on bleau.info yesterday evening. Even though still in some doubt, I more or less decided to back today, but didn't look forward to carry two crashpads again up to there. As if it was a telepathic calling, the text message that Jan (Gorrebeeck) sent me minutes after making my decision asking me if I was climbing on Wednesday, came like a gift from Heaven. Not having done it himself yet, he agreed with my reply asking to go to "Pierre Ponce". I was psyched and started to get nervous.
Jan, his wife Gina, and I met this morning on the parking of Le Vaudoué, caught up talking after a few months not seeing each other, and motivated we walked to "Pierre Ponce".
I worked out some of the moves separately again as a warmup and after I also managed to stick the crux move, I turned on the camera and started to feel the so-called 'sending stress'. I do tend to get that feeling when I'm trying a what feels for me like a mythical boulder and getting close to a send. Basically any attempt could be a successful one as long as I'm able to keep calm and stay focused on the move sequence. It was such a relief to find myself on top of "Pierre Ponce" moments later.
Hours later, I had to leave and Jan came very close to a send as well. He and Gina stayed, taking a longer break before he would go for some last attempts. As I didn't get any text message anymore afterwards, I figure that his energy levels didn't get high enough anymore to get to a send as well. Nevertheless, his session was definitely good and not in vain. He will surely get it next time.

Fontainebleau - Rocher du Potala - Pierre Ponce 7C+(7C)

No comments:

Post a Comment