Sunday, October 10, 2021

October 10, 2021 - Bee mental.

I left home this morning to join Pieter and Denis on the packed parking of the Croix St Jérôme and didn't have any expectations or special goals. My left heel was hurting from yesterday's fall, so I decided to just tag along and see where we would end up.
After a short warm up on the boulder of "Haute Trahison", we decided to move on to Rocher des Souris to have a look at "La Souris Verte". I stood already a quite some times before the beautiful six meter high boulder, but being alone every time, I never dared to try it. Mainly because of the big boulder just in front of it, making it quite exposed as well. Not a problem to fall out of at substantial height. Spraining an ankle or even breaking a leg is not a far fetched thought there.
Pieter had never seen the boulder and he had serious doubts about trying it when he saw it and after we inspected the holds. I was motivated though and was eager to finally try it this time, despite a slight mental struggle. We placed the crashpads as good as we thought would be the smallest chance of getting hurt, and I put on my shoes for a try and build up some confidence. I was nervous, but concentrated and when I got passed the crux move, being a dyno to a quite slopey hold, I climbed back off because it looked like I was going to make it to the top and I hadn't turned on the camera yet. It wasn't something that I wanted to do again just for the video.
I looked for a spot to place the camera, turned it on and went for my second attempt. This time I climbed on after the crux. On my way further up, I had a close encounter with a bee that apparently flew into the small two finger pocket that I had just put my fingers in. The bee argued as it couldn't get out and I felt the tickling on my fingertips. I saw it fly out as I removed my fingers from the pocket again and with a slight hesitation put them back in. With a mild vibrating breathe, I continued my way to the top. A not so hard problem, but definitely worth five stars. Simply beautiful.
Pieter kept saying that he wasn't going to try, because it looked too dangerous and sketchy, but I motivated him and talked him into at least trying the first moves until the crux. When he was able to that move also after a few tries, he also found himself at the top not long after. As I, he was relieved and happy that he did go for it. An amazingly beautiful problem.
In the meantime, Bram (Honorez) had joined us, and after he also topped it out, he confirmed its beauty by saying that it was the most beautiful line that he climbed since a long time.


La Souris Verte climbs through the overhang on the right. Picture taken from bleau.info.

Fontainebleau - Rocher des Souris - La Souris Verte 7A

No comments:

Post a Comment