Sunday, August 5, 2018

August 05, 2018 - A true hidden gem!

Looking for some shade, I drove to Petit Bois this morning.
I was surprised to see though, that the small parking was already full at 9h and noticed small groups of climbers here and there.
In total, it wasn't too many, but a small area like Petit Bois gets crowded quickly.
I walked directly towards "Le Poids des Soupirs", a big dyno that is already on my want-list for quite a while, but after a few jumps I already gave up on it.
I didn't expect so many people to be around, which took me out of concentration and also motivation.

While browsing through the problems in Petit Bois on bleau.info before I left home, I noticed a nice very isolated roof that I had never seen before, "Maracuja".
Located in the same small separated forest of Petit Bois and probably only a few hundred meters from the main area, but the only description mentioned a different parking for it, on the South side of the hill.
I carefully followed the description, but had a hard time finding out where to park. In the end, even though not obvious, it was common sense that made choose where to park and after that I found the boulder quite easily.

"Maracuja" has a beautiful, powerful start under the roof, followed by a technical, sketchy, typical Bleau "nobody move" topout.
I needed some time to work it out, tried various possible methods, almost gave up on it for the day, but very unexpectedly, managed to top it out.
Don't be fooled by the shade on the video. It was only provided by a thin layer of leaves from small trees that let a lot of the heat through. Of course, it was still much better than being in the direct sun, but it was a hot spot compared to the main area.

Truly glad with having done this very beautiful hidden gem! Five stars!

Fontainebleau - Petit Bois - Maracuja 7C


No comments:

Post a Comment