Sunday, April 9, 2023

April 09, 2023 - Oh, there they are.

The long Easter weekend is without a doubt the busiest weekend of the year in the forest and this year was of course no exception. Climbers and hikers from all over the continent gather to enjoy the boulders and the beauty of the forest. It's a weekend where I try to be lower than usual under the radar and makes me look for the most isolated boulders in the lesser known areas. Yesterday I chose Rocher aux Voleurs where I wasn't able to top out none of the boulders that I wanted to try and today it was Mare aux Joncs. Both areas are deep in the Coquibus and in both I didn't see another person, no climbers nor hikers, besides my oldest son who drove me there and carried a second crashpad. With my youngest son, I had a bike ride through the forest in Trois Pignons yesterday, and the it was packed everywhere. So that's where everyone was again, which was far from a surprise. 

This morning, when I started trying "Coup de Patte", I feared that it would be another day without any successful ascents. I wisely decided quickly to move over to the nearby "Ghost Rider" where I needed quite some time to warm up my fingers and get acquainted  with the bad crimp under the overhang. It required a lot of body tension and I also had a hard time getting the method straight. Then suddenly, after some tweaking and changing some minor details, I was able to top it out.

Fontainebleau - Mare aux Joncs - Ghost Rider 7C



Now that I had the moves dialed and stored in my muscle memory, I went for the sitstart and to my great pleasure, topped it out as well. This definitely adds a '+' to the stand in my humble opinion.

Fontainebleau - Mare aux Joncs - Ghost Rider (assis) 7C+

No comments:

Post a Comment