Saturday, August 10, 2019

August 10, 2019 - Scorched earth.

It had finally rained a lot yesterday, but this morning it was all dry. The sky looked grey and threatening, and just when I left home, a short rain shower made everything wet.
I wasn't worried, because there was a lot of wind and on the warm rock, the rain dries quickly. On top of that, I was going to the boulder of "Audacieux". Completely isolated in a remote part of Vallée Chaude at exactly 1.8km from the nearest parking, the same one as for Rocher Guichot in Le Vaudoué, there was still enough time for it to dry.

I really enjoyed the half hour walk, taking some shortcut paths that I had never walked on before and stood in awe when I arrived at this beautiful isolated boulder.
It's high and quite impressive, but as the ground gets higher as you climb up, the landing is never deep.
I was able to top out "Audacieux" already on my second attempt. The fact that I watched a video of it a couple of hours earlier most likely helped. Still, a very nice line, with very nice moves.

Fontainebleau - Vallée Chaude - Audacieux 7A(7A+)




After briefly working out the left exit, I finally only needed three attempts to top it out.
Also a beautiful line, but most subject for a little downgrade. 7C might be a bit too high graded.

Fontainebleau - Vallée Chaude - Audacieux (gauche) 7C




On the way back, I looked for the even more isolated boulder with "Aloha" in an even more remote part of Le 111 area, found it but quickly discovered that it was far from my style and couldn't motivate myself enough for it.
While looking for the boulder, I walked through a small part of the forest that had been on fire probably not very long ago. The smell of scorched earth was still in the air.

Scorched earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment