Sunday, August 4, 2019

August 04, 2019 - King of the hill.

Yesterday I had to drive to Belgium and back, good for about 900 km. It tires the mind and the eyes, but for my body, it was good rest. Especially with an automatic gearbox and cruise control. Okay, it's a complete day lost driving, but for someone who can't sit still, just like me, it's a good alternative for a day of rest.
Unfortunately today was my last day of vacation before returning back to work tomorrow, but at least I made it count.

I was already playing with the idea to go back to the "King Cobra" boulder in Coquibus Auvergne and try some of the other lines on it, for a while and yesterday evening, before going to bed, I made the decision to do that this morning. The weekend promised to be crowded in the forest, so that isolated boulder in the back end of the area seemed like a good idea.
I had already done "Little Crotale" and "Little Cobra" a while ago. Both finish left, but I hadn't tried any of the four other, mostly harder, variations that finish on the right.

I noticed that my body had recovered a bit, because already on my second attempt I finished "Little King Combi", the one that starts under the roof and finishes in "Crotale" and where all holds are allowed.

Fontainebleau - Coquibus Auvergne - Little King Combi 7A+




Now that I knew how to top out in "Crotale", I also only needed two attempts to finish that one from the start.
Very nice logical line, but probably more 7A+ than 7B.

Fontainebleau - Coquibus Auvergne - Crotale 7B(7A+)



"King Cobra" seemed to be too morpho at first, but after a good fight, I managed to find a method and work my way through to the end.
Beautiful and very powerful problem.

Fontainebleau - Coquibus Auvergne - King Cobra 7B+




"King Cobra" had taken quite some energy and I needed a longer break, not sure what to do next.
I could have gone to the other side of the area to try "Liaison Dangereuse" or try the only remaining, but hardest problem on this beautiful roof, "King Crotale".
"King Crotale" starts and ends as "Crotale", but goes through the middle of the roof, avoiding the big holds of "Little Cobra" on the left.
It may all sound complicated and is somewhat eliminate, but the lines are all quite logical and almost all merit four stars.
Some very powerful moves!

Fontainebleau - Coquibus Auvergne - King Crotale 7C




I have now done all problems on this boulder and for a mere couple of minutes, I felt like a king. The king of the hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment