Sunday, March 25, 2018

March 25, 2018 - Spring is in the air!

Another beautiful Spring day today!

I only climbed in the morning, because I had some things to do in the afternoon.
As I wanted some solitude again, I was already early in Côtes de Courances, deep in the Coquibus.
I wanted to try "Djembé" again, but already after five minutes into the session, I had to admit that I hadn't recovered enough from the hard work week which took me completely out of my regular living rhythm.
The switch to Summer time last night only seemed to have made things worse and I felt extremely tired. Also, my fingertips felt sweaty and I kept slipping off the key crimp.
Anyway, there more than enough excuses to let it go for today and focus on something less hard.
So I decided to walk on to the nearby Montrouget area to try "L'Angluée" again.

I had tried "L'Angluée" a couple of weeks ago, but wasn't able to finish it due to humid conditions.
Now it looked and felt much better and it didn't take long to top out on that nice overhanging arete.

Fontainebleau - Montrouget - L'Angluée 7A




Having done that, I started looking at a different approach and managed to do a possible first know ascent of what I call "L'Angluée (direct)".
Same topout, but a different start with a completely different style.

Start with a sharp crimp in the centre of the overhang left hand, the arete right hand and both feet against the boulder.
Dyno directly to the good hold of "L'Angluée" and exit in that one.

Not sure if it will get published, but to me it felt like a totally different climb than "L'Angluée" itself and it felt quite a lot harder too.
At that moment, it felt like something around the 7A+(7B) range.
Quite a nice variation and harder than it looks!

Fontainebleau - Montrouget - L'Angluée (direct) 7A+(7B)




Sadly enough after that, it was time to leave, but I enjoyed the walk back through the Coquibus, especially with the change of season.
People say Spring is in the air, but I keep on wondering how high.

No comments:

Post a Comment