Wednesday, May 8, 2024

May 08, 2024 - Victory for Victor.

I was contacted by Victor (Burger) a few days ago and he wrote me that he bought a house in Nemours and proposed to go out for a climb together when he's around. I remember climbing with him a long time ago along with others trying "Atrésie" in Cuvier Rempart and I happily accepted his proposal. We agreed to go to Les Mammouths, which almost literally in his back yard, to try "Tranquille Emil", a high prow opened by Maxime (Baroud). Somewhat knowing Maxime's strengths and capabilities, it promised to be hard.
It looked really hard indeed, but after we analyzed it, we were able to come up with a possible beta. At least, the beta was possible for Victor, who was able to top out "Tranquille Emil" in a very controlled fashion. I knew already that he is much stronger than I am and he proved it there on the spot. I, on the other hand, couldn't get through it and kind of lacked enough motivation to keep trying for too long, so I proposed to move to another boulder. 
We agreed on going to "Osiris", a very nice problem on the backside of the boulder of "Ubik", and which was on my to-do list for quite a while. Luckily I still remembered the beta I was using last time and which got me up to the very far crimp high up. Somehow, it only took me a handful of attempts this time to top out this beauty. Victor followed with his second victory of the day not long after.

Fontainebleau - Les Mammouths - Osiris 7B

No comments:

Post a Comment