Monday, January 1, 2018

January 01, 2018 - Start with the end.

The weather was sunny and warm yesterday when I arrived back from a quick trip to Belgium.
It's felt strange walking through the forest with 16°C on the 31st of December, but I enjoyed it a lot, even though I had to drive to a couple of areas looking for the best conditions. With the sudden warmth after a long wet period, there was quite some condensation.
I ended up finding quite good conditions on the windy summit of the Drei Zinnen area yesterday late afternoon where I spent almost an hour working out and nearly doing the classic "Multipass".
I ran out of time though, but was determined to come back soon to this quick drying high boulder.

It was raining outside when we celebrated 2017 turning into 2018 and the weather forecast for the upcoming days didn't look any better.
Luckily I'm far from a party animal, so I was able to see at 8h30 that the hard wind during the night had dried up a lot outside. I immediately checked the weather app on my phone, which revealed that I had about two hours of dry weather left.
With the hard wind, my hopes were high and I drove back to "Multipass" in Drei Zinnen after having my morning coffee.

To my pleasant surprise, the boulder was completely dry and in better conditions than yesterday. After all, it was more than 10° colder.
I couldn't let go of the thought how nice it would be to finish what I started on the last day of 2017, on the first day of 2018.
It gave me a bit of sending stress, but as soon as the first rain drops started falling, I managed to keep calm, find the good flow and top out "Multipass". A "two-day-multi-year" project done.
A bit scary at the top without spotter or extra crashpad, but this beauty got the full five stars on bleau.info!

Fontainebleau - Drei Zinnen - Multipass 7B




It was 10h15 when I arrived back at the car and the small drops had turned into heavy rain. I was just on time.
It all fitted perfectly, and even though we were only a couple hours yet into 2018, I can't think of a better way to start it.
Happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment