Friday, December 1, 2017

December 01, 2017 - Seek shelter.

Just like in most places of the region, everything was covered under a thin layer of snow. Wet snow, because the temperature was just above 0°C and what was once snow had already started to melt.
I had planned to do some shopping in the Lidl supermarket of Saint-Pierre-Lès-Nemours and decided to stop in Larchant on my way.
Before taking the crashpad with me, I had a look around but found everything soaking wet of course.
Only the overhanging part of "La Barre Fixe" was dry, but its top holds were wet.
I doubted for a few seconds, but knowing that the last holds are quite good ones, I made up my mind and went back to the car to get the crashpad. At least I would be able to play around a little bit.

By the time I arrived at "La Barre Fixe" again, there was a mild drizzle mixed with half molten snow particles that were blown off the trees by the wind. But under that steep overhang it stayed dry, even though I could feel the cold humidity on my face.
I had to think of a video from Bram (Honorez) who did "La Barre Fixe (droite)" in mid-Summer, using a big tarp over the boulder as a shelter for the sun. I could have used it too this morning, but not for the sun.

I didn't let it bother me too much as I had already done "La Barre Fixe" on a crazy moment in 2008 when I had only started climbing in the seventh grade.
It took me about twenty minutes to find out the moving sequence that suited me most, but after that it didn't took long to reach the good jug. Static this time, I remember that in 2008 I did it more with a dyno.
I wasn't bothered by the wet holds on the top, but more worried about safely getting back down from the boulder in this wet and cold state.
Anyway, I climbed on and it turned out fine.

Fontainebleau - Éléphant - La Barre Fixe 7B+


No comments:

Post a Comment