Tuesday, August 29, 2017

August 29, 2017 - Hidden in plain sight.

I must have walked next to that boulder maybe hundred times, but never noticed it.
I never expected such a relatively big nice boulder to be hidden behind all the smaller ones in that small area where the red "25 Bosses" path runs through.

Beautiful sunset at the "Canicula" boulder.


It was only when I was actually searching for it with Pieter last Saturday that I noticed it and did "Canicula (assis)" on it.
The plan back then, was to climb "Kinépaulée" too, but I had to give up fast because it was too much in the direct sun and the heelhooks were still hurting my back too much.
I still went back that evening to try it in the shade, but I couldn't do any move of it. My back was killing me and I was simply out of juice.

This evening it was still 29°C in the shade at 20h, but knowing that the boulder was in the shade and not far to walk to, motivated me.
The fact that they are predicting rain tomorrow and that my back is much better, helped too of course.
The boulder still felt warm because of sitting in the sun all day, but I had a feeling that it could go.

I needed some time to work out the moves up to the last one, but still then it was definitely not a give away.
Maybe it was because of the heat, but this felt hard for the grade and closer to 7A+.
It doesn't look that hard when looking at it, but it's not to be underestimated.
Beautiful line for sure in a beautiful, quiet evening setting!

Fontainebleau - Rocher de la Cathédrale - Étreinte (assis) / Kinépaulée 7A


No comments:

Post a Comment