Saturday, March 26, 2016

March 26, 2016 - Cracking skulls.

Easter weekend, always busy.
As they announced bad weather for the upcoming days, I decided to leave early and visit shortly the small deserted area of Apremont Brûlis.
Having looked at some pictures of some boulders, I had one goal in mind, "Le Skull". A 7A+, but opened by David Evrard and Stéphan Denys, so I expected it to be hard.

When I was walking towards the boulder, following the accurate description from bleau.info, I noticed that a lot of smaller boulders I passed on my way, were still very humid, and some even wet.
Luckily the boulder with "Le Skull" was dry, or at least dry enough to climb. The moss on the topout was little bit humid and slippery, but it wasn't going to stop me from trying the problem.

I started trying at 9h20 am already.
It took me a while and after a quick peek at a video of the problem to find the good beta, and once I worked out all the moves separately, it went like a charm.
It was still hard but not hard enough to stop me from doing the problem a second time immediately after.

"Le Skull" is an isolated boulder in a remote part of the area, but it felt totally worth the walk to it.

Fontainebleau - Apremont Brûlis - Le Skull 7A+




From there I went to another remote part of the area to find "L'Etalon Sauvage" ... wet.
At least I know where it is and I will come back for it.
I continued on to the main area that has a small group of boulders and had a short look around.
The boulders looked ok, but I didn't have a "WOW" feeling.
Anyway, I will go back there this Summer when it's another crowded weekend, and I need my peace.

By that time, my colleague and friend Harco was coming over and we went to the main area of Apremont which was surprisingly not overcrowded yet.
Harco didn't crack any skulls yet, but he did really well for his first time out on the real boulders. Give him some time to adapt to the rock and he will climb hard.
It was nice to see the motivation in him.

When he left in the afternoon, I still drove to Bas Cuvier for the Black Diamond "Chasin' the Rubbish" event and did my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment