Thursday, October 22, 2020

October 22, 2020 - Stargate.

I had taken the afternoon off work for different reasons than just climbing, but as it gave me some time to do so, and the weather looked beautiful, I of course went to the forest. It had rained during the night and even though the sun was shining since early this morning, only the spots where she was able to shine long enough, were dry. Or less wet than its surroundings.
I had to stay close by, so wisely decided to go to Justice de Noisy. The parking was soaking wet everywhere and so was the forest, but on the South side of the hill, where the sun was shining in full glory, it was almost completely dry. I was somewhat surprised that I wasn't alone when I arrived at the boulder of "Stargate", at about 40m to the right of "Hallelujah". Another climber, Marius (not sure if I spell that correctly), seemingly from Spain, was looking for some dry boulders and got lucky.

Despite my many visits to the area, and the visually appealing boulder, I had never tried "Stargate" before. I guessed because the landing always looked so sketchy. A guess that didn't turn out very wrong.
The top had to be cleaned from a pile of pine needles that covered the boulder, so I had to wait for a while for the wet spots underneath to dry. The sun was shining straight on it, so the drying didn't take very long, but made it pretty hot too.
With the landing being so sketchy, I took my time to get familiar with the moves but couldn't avoid taking some falls that could have turned out worse then they were. Marius had been watching some of my attempts and the falls that came with them and offered his crashpads while he was taking a break from the boulder he was climbing on. Thanks again for that, Marius.
Knowing that a potential fall would be a soft landing, gave me the that extra bit of confidence that I needed and I was able to top not very long after.
A very nice problem on a visually stunning boulder.

(Boulder 7 on the topo from bleau.info: https://bleau.info/topos/topo1228.html)

Fontainebleau - Justice de Noisy - Stargate 7B+

No comments:

Post a Comment