Sunday, October 18, 2020

October 18, 2020 - Safety first.

When I parked to go back to the boulder of "Kong", there was a bunch of hunters walking through the fields and entering the forest in the direction of where I had to go. Fearing that they might shoot in my direction, I doubted a bit between going or leaving, but as there were no warning signs posted, I decided to go to the boulder anyway. I took my precautions though and took my fluorescent vest out of the car and attached it to my brush stick.
Safely arrived at the boulder, I could still hear their dogs with their bells attached to them and occasionally there was a distant shot from one of the hunter's rifles. Thinking about safety first, I used to my brush stick and created an improvised flag with the fluo vest on top of the boulder to help indicate my presence.

Better let the hunters know that someone is here. Whatever can help.

Bram (Honorez), Jan (Gorrebeeck) and Tom were going to join me, and while waiting for them, I warmed up in "30ème Rugissant", but this time doing the original exit more to the right. Less technical, but felt not as hard as the left exit. Still, a very nice problem on this beautiful boulder.

Fontainebleau - Boissy aux Cailles - 30ème Rugissant 7A+



Bart (Van Raaij) also arrived some time later and was able to tell us that the five stacked crashpads left under the boulder belong to Jean-Hervé (Baudot), who also ended up joining us.
Being a small bunch, we found a dozen of methods for "Kong", some other for "King", but only Bart was able to use one of them to finish "Kong". I decided to use part of his original method rather than the one that I had worked out at first and found that this suited me much better when executed well. I came very close, but the energy levels had were in red, so I had to throw in the towel. This will go down in one of the next sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment