Saturday, November 20, 2021

November 20, 2021 - To the rescue.

Yesterday I had to start working a few hours earlier as usual, but this allowed me to stop earlier too, giving me the chance to go for a climb before it was dark. There was a lot of fog in the morning, but the afternoon was sunny and the conditions on "Gengis Khan" were not too bad. Unfortunately, the holds started feeling damp after about an hour, and even though I came so close to a send, I had to give up. The conditions were only getting worse after each attempt and I again had a split in the tip of my left middle finger.
Before leaving though, I cleaned the slopers with some water, hoping that it will allow for better friction next time.

This morning, to my pleasant surprise, even though the sky was grey with clouds, there was no fog and the ground was dry. 
With my left finger tips being badly cut by the small crimp left hand in "Gengis Khan", I decided to not to go back to it and went to the Les Béorlots area instead. I felt like trying "Égérie sans Vergogne" for some reason, despite knowing that going to that North facing steep overhang was big risk for being a boulder in bad conditions. I had some other boulders in the back in of my mind for in the worst case.
Walking on the sandy horse path towards the boulder, I noticed a group of people with horse in the distance, right near where the boulder is. Nothing unusual for Les Béorlots, were it not that the group wasn't moving and just staying where they were. I didn't think too much of it, for all I knew, they were probably taking a break. It turned out though that one of the female horse riders had fallen off her horse and couldn't get up anymore, as they told me, it was even that bad that they had to call for rescue and they were waiting for the fire brigade/ambulance.

They arrived with a 4x4 all terrain vehicle just before I started climbing and immediately took care of the woman, laying her in a better positions and stabilizing her back. They also covered her with a thermo blanket while discussing how to get her out of the forest safely. It was obvious that the woman wasn't to leave there by herself, her injuries seemed to be too sensitive and there was a realistic possibility that she broke something in her back. It was in any case bad enough for the care workers to call for a helicopter, which unfortunately wasn't able to come due to circumstances that weren't clear to me. Instead some of the care takers started looking for the easiest way to carry the woman to the nearest spot where an ambulance could drive to.

In the meantime, I cleaned a lot of pine needles and leaves from the topout of the boulder and realized that the conditions were not as bad as had feared. Only the parts of the topout where I removed the needles and leaves were humid, but the rest of the boulder was not bad at all. I warmed up with "Jeu de Pierre", which I did on my second attempt after watching a video with a non morpho method.

Fontainebleau - Les Béorlots Ouest - Jeu de Pierre 7A+



"Égérie sans Vergogne" required much more time, time that I used to work out the separate moves and trying some overlapping pieces. It was only when I felt ready for some real attempts, that I started the camera. A handful attempts later, I was able to climb my way to the top of this very nice line. I must admit that it was quite comforting to know that the care workers from the fire brigade were only 30m away from where I was and would be able to hear me shout in case I would make a bad fall.

Fontainebleau - Les Béorlots Ouest - Égérie sans Vergogne 7B+(7B)



As I was not very far Rocher de la Reine, I still went back to "Gengis Khan", but again, close but no cigar.
On my way back home, I noticed that the ambulance that they called for, was still there waiting for the woman to be carried out of the forest. I have a lot of respect and admiration for those rescue workers, who were really professional and not trying to rush things.

No comments:

Post a Comment